Frequently asked questions

What kind of discounts can I receive if I bundle?

You can save more money if you bundle multiple insurance policies with Farmers. For instance, if you’re already purchasing Auto insurance, you can get extra protection and save money with Motorcycle insurance, Home or Renters insurance, Life insurance, or Recreational Vehicle insurance. Contact our office today to learn about ways you can bundle and save.

How much Auto insurance do I need?

Most states require you to carry a minimum amount of Liability insurance and also provide proof of insurance to register a vehicle or renew your license. In the case of an accident, the minimum Liability insurance required by the state may not be enough coverage to pay for the damages that result after an accident. In this case, the driver responsible for the accident may have to pay additional expenses out of pocket. To determine how much Auto insurance you need, consider: The value of your assets How and when you drive What you drive Who is in the car with you

How does my local fire department impact my homeowner’s policy?

Each fire protection agency (including your local fire department) is reviewed by the Insurance Services Office (ISO) and ranked based on their fire protection services, such as fire equipment, staffing and available water supply. The ranking is called the Public Protection Class (PPCTM) with 1 being the best score and 10 being the worst score. Many insurance companies use the PPC rating and the distance your home is from the nearest legally responding fire department to determine whether they will insure your home and how much to charge. For more information on PPC, please visit www.isomitigation.com or contact our office today.

What would it cost to replace the contents or personal belongings of my home?

If the unexpected happens, losing your home contents could be distressing as well as financially devastating. Your Farmers homeowners, Townhouse, Condo and Renters policies cover the loss of your personal belongings, subject to the policy limits and conditions. There are two distinct ways to insure your personal possessions: Replacement cost coverage. This coverage pays you the dollar amount needed to replace personal property without any deduction for depreciation, but is limited to a maximum dollar amount. Actual cash value. This coverage pays you an amount equal to the replacement value of damaged property minus depreciation. Unless a homeowners policy specifies that property is covered for its replacement value, the coverage is for actual cash value. Many people make the mistake of underestimating the value of their home contents. This mistake is easily made when you consider the amount of new items we purchase each year. Under-insurance can lead to heartache and inconvenience should the unexpected happen. Your local Farmers agent is available to assist you with insuring your home contents.

How is my premium affected by selecting a higher or lower deductible option?

If you select a higher deductible, you will be responsible for paying more out of pocket. However, you’ll typically pay a lower policy premium. The opposite is true if you select a lower deductible option: because the insurer will pay a larger portion of any loss, you’ll typically pay a higher policy premium. We can review available deductible options with you to help you decide what option you may want.

What is Personal Liability Umbrella coverage?

Lawsuits are common today. If you accidentally injure someone or damage their property, you could be sued. And more and more, juries are awarding very large verdicts. Your homeowners, property and auto policies may provide substantial liability limits, but juries can award sums that exceed those limits. Farmers Personal Liability Umbrella insurance acts like an umbrella, providing additional coverage on top of your auto and homeowners liability policies. It supplements your existing policies to provide additional personal liability protection. The Umbrella policy goes into effect after the underlying liability limits on your homeowners or auto policy is exhausted. Therefore, your policy must have certain limits in order to qualify for an Umbrella policy. Auto Insurance Liability Limits: $250,000 bodily injury per person $500,000 bodily injury per occurrence $50,000 property damage per occurrence Homeowners Insurance Liability Limits: $300,000 The policy provides: Liability insurance that adds to the limits of your automobile, homeowners and recreational vehicle or boat liability policy limits. Coverage for unknown or unexpected exposures that are excluded in typical auto, homeowners, recreational vehicle or boat liability policies. Coverage for the cost of your legal defense. This includes court costs, interest on judgments and premiums on necessary bonds. For more information, please contact our office today.

How does the kind of car I drive affect my insurance rate?

The kind of car you drive can impact your Car insurance rate, especially if you have comprehensive and collision coverage. Rates are based on the type of vehicle loss history – how often it’s stolen, and how expensive it is to repair or replace after a theft or accident. Additional factors that can contribute to your Car insurance premium: Engine size Body type Age Value Safety and security features Crash-test ratings Every car and driver is unique, and while certain standards can apply to Car insurance premiums – like cars with fewer safety features or car alarm systems typically costing more to insure, and cars with sophisticated safety features and good crash-test ratings usually being more affordable – there are a variety of exceptions. The best way to determine how the kind of car you drive can affect your insurance rate is to talk with us to help you determine the right insurance coverage for you and your car.